Although kidney stones most often affect older adults, they can affect anyone at any age. And if you do happen to get one, it isn’t any fun to experience.
Learn more about them from our AFC Urgent Care Mooresville team below!
What Are Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones are hard deposits made up of substances that have crystallized in the urinary system.
The kidneys and urinary system filter out lots of waste all the time, but when urine is too concentrated, it has a tough time filtering out substances such as phosphate, uric acid and calcium. When there is too much waste in too little urine, these substances combine to form crystals that are referred to as kidney stones. The most frequent kidney stone symptoms are mentioned below.
Common Kidney Stone Symptoms
- Severe pain on either side of your lower back
- More vague pain or stomach ache that doesn’t go away
- Blood in the urine
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fever and chills
- Urine that smells bad or looks cloudy
What Can Be Done to Treat Kidney Stones?
In most cases, kidney stone treatment begins with a straightforward approach. If you suspect you have a kidney stone or your doctor has diagnosed you with one, you will almost definitely be advised to drink plenty of water. Maintaining proper hydration can aid in the removal of a kidney stone.
In most cases, kidney stones last for roughly a month; however, each person’s experience with a kidney stone is unique. The most effective treatment methods are described below.
Common Kidney Stone Treatments
- Drinking water. Most kidney stones are small and will eventually pass through your urinary system, so drinking lots of water is the best way to flush them out sooner than later. Drinking fluids will dilute urine and give you the best chance at passing a kidney stone in a timely manner.
- Pain relievers. Passing kidney stones doesn’t feel good. To relieve pain, OTC medications like ibuprofen or naproxen sodium can be helpful.
- Medical therapy. In some cases, your doctor may give you a medication called an alpha blocker to help pass your kidney stone. This type of medication relaxes the muscles in your ureter, which will help you pass the kidney stone more quickly and with less pain.
Feeling less than your best? Don’t hesitate to visit our AFC Urgent Care Mooresville team today.